Friday, December 3, 2021

Open Mic at the Dangling Prussian

Well, my search for the Sherlockian stand-up comic of my dreams is not going so well. But I have another trick up my sleeve, and you might want in on this.

Back in the 1990s, a bunch of nearby scions got together for a few conferences in St. Louis. Speakers, a dinner, all the usual things -- we did a couple with over-arching mystery themes like "Weekend at Baskerville Hall," which meant we got to play a bit. And, as with any Sherlockian weekend, one doesn't want it too end too soon, so for our Sunday morning session, we gathered in a nearby pub space, and, lacking any real programming for that time did this:

Sherlockian Open Mic.

An audience, a microphone, and 3 or 4 minutes to say, perform, or present whatever you wanted. We had songs, we had poetry, we had little speeches of appreciation. It was a beautiful way to end a weekend.

So here's what I'm thinking we add to the agenda for the Dangling Prussian Pub Night on January 14. There will be the set program, of course, and I've got a couple of promising entertainments for that lined up, with more to come. But when that's over, you can retire to one of the breakout rooms, of course. (It's a pub night -- chatting with your friends might just be your preferred past-time.) But in the main area of the pub, we'll be muting all the microphones but one, and work our way through anyone who would like three to four minutes to hold center stage and Zoom in front of an audience without interruption.

It's going to be a long evening at the Dangling Prussian, and we'd like to fill the night with as many possibilities and surprises as we can. Do you have a few minutes worth of talent, thoughts, or splendor that you'd like to share with your fellow Sherlockian incorrigibles? The time will be available.

We're having a Zoom party, y'all. And you just never know what is going to happen there.

Because that's the way we like our pub nights.

1 comment:

  1. I'd be willing to read the longer Hound poem if I know in advance you'd like me to. Or the short one if you're pressed for time. Just let me know; I work better from a printed copy.

    ReplyDelete